Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Inspiration to Colour

Well, drywall is happening. I'll take photos to show you how our space is now becoming more defined & smaller (??). I put together a paint quote & just got the numbers this morning. I can't wait to get final approval from Phil (it's going on the wrong credit card....but it's saving us a bundle).

So, I thought it about time to share with you some of my colours....

This is the upholstry fabric I found years ago & has inspired the colour of the entire house. I want to find some more of it to make cushions for the chairs & possibly some window treatments.

This is Serengeti Song - the main colour of the house. Now, remember that the vaulted ceiling in our space is pine, so there looks like more ceiling than wall space (which is true when you also remember the size & number of windows). I wanted a dark colour because of the south light that we will have, anything lighter would 'disappear' on bright days & in the grey days of winter, we need the bright dark colours to help keep us from fading.

This is Navajo White - a warmer colour with brown tints for the ceilings. I'm trying to keep the starkness of glaring bright white down to a minimum.





This is Pleasant Lake - a very nice dark & bright blue for the bathrooms. The bathrooms will be much more crisp than the more earthy feel of the rest of the house. These rooms will have stark white fixtures & hopefully the feeling in these rooms will be refreshing.


Welcome to Barefoot Beach, a lovely subtle brown that will be featured in the office & up in the loft. This is a mid-range colour, if I really like it, I might purchase a darker shade & make one or two walls in the office a darker colour, as this room will also be the guest room if the suite is rented out when we have visitors.
Introducing my accent colour - Autumn Bronze. I'm being very bold & daring with this - if it's the wrong red, I might look like I splashed blood all over the wall!! But I've seen other people's daring choices & have decided that this will be a fun detail in the house. Now, it's only 1 wall (so far?) & it's the south window wall on the second floor....so there really isn't a lot of wall to be painted. I also need to look at what we are doing as window trim......which will leave even less wall to paint. I hope that I have SOMETHING to put this awesome colour on!!
We are cheating on the floors for the first little while. I've found this lovely colour - again, dark & it's called Eagle Rock - a dark olive/brown colour. The future flooring will be (probably) a ceramic tile in a rustic blue which will go into the entrance up stairs, the bathrooms & the kitchen in our space (the 'kitchen' in the rental suite is termed a 'rec' room & won't be treated the same, unless the tile looks too good not to put it down.....).

Now, I've just realized that I haven't picked a colour (other than the grey tinted primer) for the laundry area (the lower back 1/3) & if you see something that would work or have any suggestions, we'd love to hear them. I do have a line on some 'extra' paint here in town, but I don't know how old it is nor what colour, but if it's free I just might use it & leave it for a few years.

No comments: