Sunday, March 16, 2008

Finally Some Photos!

Here are the most recent photos for you. We are now into the painting stage of things, so you might want to re-fresh yourself as to what colours we are using by check back to the post where I put in photos of my fabric & colour chips. (Date: January 30)

We cleaned out the suite so that we have room to paint & not worry about splattering paint on tools or the workers having to come in to get things. I'm going to make the suite an 'off limits' place as soon as the walls are primed & I'm ready for colour. This will allow us to start hauling our stuff over sooner & will hopefully keep it cleaner....


First thing, I had to clean up the drywall dust. Nasty job, but we've got a large shop vac & it does the trick real nice. The one thing about dry wall dust is that it cloggs up the shop vac filter very quickly. I was having to empty it out every 10 minutes! So I found someone in this town who actually had some nylon stockings in her drawer & we've put it over the filter. Neat little trick & will save us having to buy new filters!


Now the fun part! I'm working in a top-down fashion: ceilings first then walls & then floor. The ceilings are just getting a good heavy coat of primer tinted Navajo (Nava-hoe or Nava-joe?) White & it's a nice warm white colour. I found myself doing a little two-step dance with the roller on a long pole & it's tricky work. I'm glad that there isn't too much ceiling upstairs - I get a kink in my neck after staring up for a couple of hours. But it looks so good to have the ceilings painted!


Today I painted the storage area under the stairs & just did the whole thing in navajo white. The hot water tank will go in here as soon as I get the floor painted - tomorrow? It's hard to see how nice the colour is because it got really dark & grey early this afternoon. Once the sunshine returns & the rest of the walls have colour, you'll get to see what I'm talking about.


This is the ceiling in the main room. It was the first one I did & it's a large area to try to start off from. I have to go & put another coat on because by 4:30 yesterday, my eyes weren't working so well, the lighting was poor & I mis-applied the paint in the center of the room! It's the main living area so the ceiling has to look better than it does. Shouldn't take me too long to finish that up - tomorrow?

I haven't shown you photos of what has FINALLY been going on with the decks. There are a few things that HAVE to be done before we are 'legally' allowed to move in & one of them is stairs & railings on the deck. Well, the stairs might be done in time (yes, they have 2 more weeks, but don't hold your breath folks) & the glass for the front part of each deck is hiding somewhere in Port Alberni. Once the weather dries out & we can clear off the decks & clean them up, I'll show you how HUGE they are. I can't get over the size of the upper deck - now it is more enclosed....it feels even bigger!

You may also notice on the upper deck there are 2 posts on the front edge & 2 posts on the side that stick up about 8 feet. I'm putting in 2 more along the front, in about 4 feet towards the windows so that we can have a trellis built there - a bit of a sun block during the summer. The 2 on the side will have some sort of trellis on them too & I've got grand ideas for hanging baskets & huge climbing vines & other green, leafy things surrounding the house. Don't ask me to start explaining the gardens because I won't stop & I'll forget that I'm supposed to be painting the house! Just wait a little while longer.....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

the house looks amazing! i love the colour and the decks! it is a beautiful house.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a beautiful home. You've created a work of art.
Nice going.

Dad
Cape Canaveral

Anonymous said...

Lots of luck with all that painting, it is beginning to look fabulous. I can see that you will be spending LOTS of time on that upper deck. Wow!
Mom in Southwold

Anonymous said...

The house looks so amazing! Bruce and I love it! Great job!
Love,
Ange (Toronto, Ont.)

Anonymous said...

With the deck rails up it makes the whole house look bigger(but what can I tell from just photos). So when will the suite be available for visitors?? and what will be the daily rate;-)Keep up the great work!! You're almost able to move in!! U Gerry